Monday, November 22, 2010

Pumpkin Beer

I just finished bottling my pumpkin beer! I must admit I am excited. I decided to prime this beer with maple syrup (priming sugar creates carbonation!).

Yes, this sounds like a wonderfully planned out recipe, a pumpkin spice beer with a hint of maple at the end.  I actually only used it because I started the corn sugar I originally bought on fire. One second it was sitting on the stove, not boiling, and the next second my entire apartment is filled with smoke! My roommate and I ran onto the roof, and watched as smoke poured out of the house. "OH NO! THE CATS!" Let's just say we stopped the fire, saved the cats, and found out that our fire alarm doesn't work. No harm done, right?

Pumpkin Spice Ale with Maple Syrup

Grains:
8lbs 2-row
1.5lb Vienna
1lb Light Munich
1lb Carapilis
.5lb Crystal 60L
.25 Chocolate

Hops:
1oz Mt. Hood at 90 min
1/2oz Saaz at 20 min
1/2oz Saaz at 2 min

Yeast:
American Ale Yeast

Other:
1 cup brown sugar at 90 min
1 tbsp irish moss at 15 min

Spices: (Adding cinnamon and nutmeg at different times during the boil takes out a range of bitterness from the spices, just like hops!)
1 tbsp cinnamon & 1/2 tbsp nutmeg at 90 min
1 tbsp cinnamon & 1/2 tbsp nutmeg at 20 min
1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp nutmeg, 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp whole clove at 2 min

Prime with 6.86 ounces of maple syrup (assuming I would have used 5 oz of corn sugar)

No comments:

Post a Comment