Sunday, May 15, 2011

Canning Strawberry Jam!


I had completely forgotten I created this blog, but apparently I have a fan (thanks Al)! I have been spending the last 3 days making massive amounts of strawberry jam, and at some point during the process I remembered about this blog.

Since my discovery of the Lyndale farmers market, and the amazing discounts they will give you if you arrive just before closing and buy stuff in quantity, I've really been meaning to can stuff. At some point this summer I am also planning on starting to yeast culture, which may or may not require some canning of wort or what not, so I thought I could use some practice.

I got a steal of a deal, 12 dollars for 14 crates of strawberries (the same size you would buy in a store for 3-5 dollars).

My first attempt almost failed because I tried to make a double batch, and after boiling the jam it started to boil over! Ek!! I lost a little bit, probably two jars worth, but lesson learned. I still have more strawberry jam than I will be able to eat in a year.

Ingredients 
Makes about eight 8-ounce jars
7 cups granulated sugar 
8 cups whole strawberries 
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 package (1.75 oz) powdered fruit pectin

1. Before starting, cut of leaves and any bad parts of the strawberries, and wash them.  
2. Put the glass jars in the canner, and fill the canner with cold water so all the jars are completely filled and covered. Bring to a boil, let boil for 1 minute, and turn off
3. Put lids and tops in sauce pan, and fill with cold water. Keep these on medium heat, and let simmer. Do not let boil
4. Have sugar measured out and ready
5. Crush strawberries (food processor? potato masher?)
6. Add lemon juice
7. Add Pectin
8. Bring to Boil
9. Add sugar slowly, and stir well. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 1 minute
10. Take off heat
11. Take jar out of water with tongs, and pour the water in the jar back into the canner.
12. Fill jars with jam, one at a time.
13. Put seal and ring around jar, and tighten with hands. Put back into the canner. Make sure water is covering all jars
14. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 10 minutes
15. Take off heat, and let jars sit in canner for 5 minutes
16. Remove jars and let them sit for 24 hours, somewhere they can't be disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment