Thursday, May 19, 2011

Becoming a Housewife

...before actually being a wife.


I went to the used bookstore in Dinkytown this morning with the intention of buying some cheap cookbooks. I ended up spending 50 bucks on books. Oops!

Of course, right next to the cookbook section were books about etiquette and housekeeping. A long time ago, my dad had collected some old American etiquette books that were hilarious, and oddly inspiring to read. My sister also went through a similar interest of etiquette books and old cookbooks...well obsession really, because now she is a cookbook writer/cookbook collector/diner party thrower/food writer/professional blogger. At some point I became drawn to these books myself. Part of it for humor, because there is no way I am really going to follow all the guidelines from "The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated To Those Who Are Not Ashamed Of Economy" via 1836,  or "Manners: American Etiquette" via 1928. But also because I would actually like to learn how to make my own butter. I want to know how to treat my guests properly at a diner party. And I want to know how to properly get dressed before going to the opera.

Here is my first useful tip from a housewife, Mrs. Child:

"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments of time, as well as materials. Nothing should be thrown away so long as it it possible to make any use of it, however trifling that use may be; and whatever be the size of a family, every member should be employed either in earning or saving money."

Well said. Now I just need to figure out a way to put my cat to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment