Friday, May 27, 2011

DONUTS


While stopping for a coffee near Minnehaha and 40th, I spotted a brand new buisness that was selling tons of used furniture and recycled paint in front of the store. I'm a sucker for any kind of reuse/thrift store, so I had to take a peak. I can't recall the exact name of the store, but it definitely used the slogan "reduce, reuse, and recycle" in it somewhere.

I was expecting the store to be a little bit more like a surplus store/reuse center where they have giant buckets full of screws,  or bunches of old door knobs, but it turned out to be just your basic thrift store. Fine by me.

The store owner advised me to "take awhile looking through the shelves," which I did, and am glad for it. I found this completely unused donut-maker from 1977, complete with box, labels, directions, and a full one year warranty. Well, that clearly is expired, but I am really pleased with how complete the set is. And it all only cost six dollars!

The instruction manual had at least 20 recipes, and I picked the "old fashion donuts" first. They turned out pretty well, so long and you flipped it half way through. I think if I can tweak the recipes and figure out exactly how much oil to use, and how long to cook them, they are going to start turning out perfect.

The only problem is, now I own a donut-maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment